Monday, January 31, 2005

Golden Girl

I’ve been using sunless tanning cream.

When I lived in Okinawa, I swam outside at lunch and had a year-round tan, albeit with a big white “X” across my back. I no longer swim and, even if I did, I wouldn’t want to swim outside at the current 33 F. After a year out of the pool, I’m pasty pale.

My friend Kathy tans at her gym. She looks great. I’m very jealous of her brown stomach, but I can’t bring myself to fake-n-bake because of my fear of skin cancer.

So, while it’s winter, I decided to learn to use fake tanner. If I turn my legs orange or end up with streaks, no one will see. By summer, I should have the technique perfected enough to go to the office sans pantyhose.

It’s a good thing that I decided to begin the learning curve now. The first time I applied the cream, I applied so little to my knees and ankles that I had big white spots. The second time (yesterday), I overcompensated. My knees are evenly tanned, but it looks like I am wearing orange socks. The tops of my feet are a laughable pumpkin color. As long as I don’t have to wear shorts or sandals, it’s funny.

I’ll figure it out soon enough. While my legs are a bit patchy, my stomach came out a lovely, even gold color. If it wasn’t so cold, I’d run around in a belly shirt.

1 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Londyn said...

I laughed when I read this! Little do you know that, although I do tan at my gym, I am also cancer-phobic and I end up applying self tanner to keep the little bit of bronze I get from my sporadic fake baking sessions. Knees and feet always seem to be problem areas, but keep trying and you will get the technique down pat! Bronze away!
--Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home