Monday, November 07, 2005

Why Toy Mice Are Bright Pink

Yesterday morning, I entered the living room to see the usual idyllic scene: Mike parked in his La-Z-Boy with his laptop, Mimi lying on the coffee table, and Zoro curled up on the sofa table. Mr. Tibbs was sprawled on the floor at Mike’s feet, next to the scratching post and surrounded by toys - all the trappings of a spoiled kitty. Upon closer inspection, though, I saw that one of the “toy mice” was a real, dead mouse. I shrieked and pointed it out to Mike.

“No, no,” he said, “That’s a toy mouse.”

It was the same size as a toy mouse, so I understand how he could be mistaken. Its dead body was curved into the same gentle “C” as the toys. Even the proportions were the same. The give-away was its matted gray fur, yellowed fangs, and naked tail. The toy mice, for the most part, sport neon fur and bright yarn tails (and no teeth). Somehow, Mr. Tibbs had slipped inside with a real mouse and camouflaged it among the toys, like ET amidst the stuffed animals.

I was totally grossed out but had to dispose of the rodent. Mike advised me to pick it up by the tail, but there was no way my delicate flesh was going to come into contact with that mangy mouse. I picked it up with a wad of paper towels and flushed it (just to be sure it wouldn’t reappear in the house tomorrow).

Mr. T was sorry to see his toy go, but we have about 20 fake mice for him to play with instead. Now I know why the toy makers churn them out in those heart-stoppingly bright colors. It makes the aliens easier to spot.

2 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh who is Zoro...what did I miss.

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Zoro is our newest kitty (#4).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home