Thursday, February 10, 2005

My Big Fat Lip

I have herpes. Not genital herpes, not space herpes, but the cold-sore on the mouth sort of herpes. I have a big fat swollen lip. I look bad and feel worse. And to make it all worthwhile, I have to endure other people’s comments on my condition.

The first sort of comment is a misguided attempt to be informative. Know-it-all says, “What’s wrong with your lip?” I say, “Cold sore.” KIA says, “Did you know that you have HERPES!” I say, “Yes I did, and thanks for announcing my plague to the world and making me extremely uncomfortable.”

The second type of comment is the immature variety. When informed that my swollen lip is the result of a cold sore, the Immature Person’s face takes on a knowing look and he slyly asks, “Who have YOU been kissing?”

So, if you are reading this. . . YES, I know cold sores are caused by the herpes virus. It is incurable and I am forever cursed. Drugs only lessen the outbreak and the only sure prevention is to avoid stress, sickness, and sun. NO, I did not get it from kissing anyone! My outbreaks began when I was in grade school. At that point, the only kissing I had done was one boy in kindergarten and I don’t think he gave it to me. And finally, YES, I know this whole post is quite indelicate.

Now leave me alone before I drink out of your coffee cup when you aren’t looking.

5 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Kasmira,

Maybe this is another variety of irritating comment. I hope not.

When I was in grade school and middle school I used to get cold sores on the inside of my lips and cheeks that were very painful. The worst thing for them was to eat chocolate. Again; stress, and fatigue were what usually brought them on. I just realized that it has been many years since I've been afflicted. In fact the last time I remember getting one was in SERE training and that was in 1994. I wonder how many strains of herpes there are? Are my little friends still lurking somewhere, maybe in my brain stem or are they gone forever? Maybe yours will someday go away too.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Thanks for the solidarity. I thought mine were gone for good too; it's been over a year since the last one. I'll keep hoping.

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am also suffering from cold sore. Is there any quick and permanent remedy?

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Latonya Rock said...

Hi Kasmira,

I don't know how you can write about cold sores. Written excellently about it. I think you had struggled from that or maybe you are a doctor.

Thank You
Latonya

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I drank ORANGE JUICE.
Yes, I used to get them as a kid All the time. Finally realized one trigger is my much loved OJ that I can't even have 2 times a year. Woke up one night thirsty (Sunday night) drank about a cup of tasty Tropicana.
Felt the tingle within 4 hrs. This time though.. I had a HUGE FAT LIP. I used to get cold sores/fever blisters all the time. Usually on the side of lip. This is top, smack dab in the middle. I mean FAT LIP too. Then the blister part camw the next day.
I had a dentist apt. (He told me to come in, not to do the work). He gave me big green horse oils (anti-viral) and the steroid(?) Cream.
Not thinking thw cream helped soo much... But 3 doses of the other and the swelling went down tremendously.
This morning.. app 8 days later, I felt tingling on my bottom right lip... Wtf???
No OJ or anything. FAT lip this morning.
I took the anti-viral as soon as I felt it. AND put the cream on. No luck. Hmmmf
Now I have a fat lip from I don't know what again. I have never gotten cold sores starting with a HUGE fat lip before....
A little. But not like this. Ugghhhh
(Abreva does help if you use it religiously)
Good luck to you guys.. maybe you can try the other stuff. It was like $12 for the triamcin/orabas cream, $12 for the valacyclovir tablets (anti-viral)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home