Wednesday, January 04, 2006

2005 Photo Finish

Mike and I are creating our own holiday traditions. I didn’t grow up celebrating Christmas or Hanukkah or Kwanza or even the solstice, so I have no history of traditions. I’m not sure what Mike’s excuse is, but he has no holiday sentimentalities either. Creating our own holiday practices is difficult and feels a little forced. I suspect it will take us many years to get it right.

One tradition that has stuck for the past three years is that of taking pictures with our Christmas gifts and sending the photos with our thank-you notes. I read of this idea years ago (before I started celebrating the holiday) as a nice way to show Aunt Mabel how that sweater she knitted looks on you. However, our pictures are generally not ones you’d show to Aunt Mabel. We try for funny “action” shots, but sometimes they get a bit raunchy – like the photo of the Bathroom Book in use (2004). I’m not sure if the gift-givers appreciate the pictures, but we have a lot of fun taking them. I actually fell on the floor laughing this year and my belly ached for days.

I’ve included a few photo highlights below, and the complete set for 2005 is available here. Happy Holidays!


Mike has turned to the dark side.


Chocolate monkster!


We are cat codependent. (Zoro did not enjoy posing for this photo.)

2 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Lol! That is a fabulous idea!!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Don't worry, you're not the only family without holiday sentimentalities either! My family is Muslim, so we have our own "christmas" which is called Eid. But I never really thought anything special of it. Don't have any traditions or anything! But someday when I have my own family, I will make traditions! lol... I love Christmas season though, all the lights, cookies and gingerbread houses, the whole atmosphere is so cozy! I loved the pictures of your cats with their picture frames!! Soooo cute. God, I want a cat! Wish mum would let me get another one :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home